[tab:Local History Articles]
- Who tames the Khumbu Icefall, and other mountain trivia - This is the third installment of Mount Baker Experience Mountain Trivia. Find the answers at the bottom of this page. By Jason D. Martin 1 The well-regarded novelist behind the “Hyperion Cantos” science fiction series penned a piece of historical fiction about Mt. Everest. In his book ,“The Abominable,” a year has gone by since […]
- Mountain Trivia: Think you know the Cascades? - Politicians on first ascents, highest peaks, glaciology and an accidental bowel movement By Jason D. Martin Our last installment of mountain trivia was popular so we’re back with more. Think you know the North Cascades? Take our test to find out. 1) On March 6, 2010, Daniel Jeffrey and Tom Sjolseth made the first ascent […]
- The FNRad Snowboarding Podcast - By Oliver Lazenby The surest way to create something interesting is to follow what interests you. That’s Eric Traulsen’s formula for his passion project, the FNRad Snowboarding Podcast. Through interviews with snowboard legends, Traulsen chronicles the sport’s early days, from duct-tape covered Sorel boots and the invention of the snurfer to the Mount Baker Hard […]
- New owner, same heritage at the snowboard shop that grew with the Northwest - Update (January 8, 2018): Jeff Lemen is no longer affiliated with the Mt. Baker Snowboard Shop. Marcella and Bobbie Dobis own the Mt. Baker Snowboard Shop and are raising money for repairs to the building. More information here: www.youcaring.com/mtbakersnowboardshop-1028503 Lemen has opened Mt. Baker Snowboards located at 9946 Mt. Baker Highway in Glacier. By Oliver Lazenby When […]
- Wild Dreams: Climbing, community and accomplishment on a Mount Erie first ascent - Looking out at the Cascade Mountains to the east, the Olympics to the west, dense green forest below and blue skies above, Chris Weidner chalked his hands at the base of a climb in a landscape rich with memories. On Friday, July 3, 2015, Weidner made his mark in Mount Erie history when he made […]
- North Cascades Institute celebrates 30 years - By Oliver Lazenby Thirty years ago, two climbing buddies who were worried about the future of a place they loved dreamed up a way to share the wonders of the North Cascades. By introducing people to the mountains, they thought, they could foster a desire to protect them. The duo started North Cascades Institute(NCI), a […]
- Rome Grocery - A place infused with an “underlying really good feeling.” By Oliver Lazenby Megan and Noah Westgate are ready for you to know they own Rome Grocery. That wasn’t the case in 2013, the year they bought the little store between Bellingham and Deming on the Mt. Baker Highway. “The first six to 12 months we […]
- Komo Kulshan - Honoring the mountains we call home.
- Skagit Tours - Touring the Skagit River Hydroelectric Project - three incredibale dams in the upper Skagit watershed - with Skagit Tours.
- Rooms with a view - They’re open for free on a first-come, first-serve basis, and they sit on mountain peaks among some of the best skiing terrain in the Northwest.
[tab:Local History Blog Posts]