Mountain News: March 2015
Mother Nature sent Mt. Baker Ski Area operators and passholders on an emotional roller coaster this week, dumping just enough snow to get everyone’s hopes up before turning on the warm faucet to prevent a weekend opening. The winter that never was has morphed into a disappointing spring.
On the bright side, WSDOT has nearly completed a new section of Highway 542 near Glacier Springs, where the Nooksack River was coming dangerously close to the road. The new section is open to traffic, and motorists no longer have to wait for a single-lane traffic signal.
That’s good news, because despite the closed ski area, Highway 542 is hopping right now, with drive-worthy events all spring. Here’s the rundown:
- Tonight: Live music by solo artist Robert Stewart at Graham’s Restaurant in Glacier.
- Saturday, March 21: Mt. Baker Bowl Benefit. Chair 9 in Glacier will host a benefit to raise funds for a grindline bowl in Glacier. The art show will feature 20 years of artwork by Jamie Lynn. Music by Drag the River and special guest. Silent auction and custom prints for sale.
- Ongoing: Milano’s in Glacier is open again under the management of restauranteur extraordinaire Sam Hassan. Until the liquor license arrives, BYO beer and wine with a service fee (glass/corkage) of $1 per bottle of beer per person, or $10 per bottle of wine. Open Friday – Monday. Hours: Friday and Monday, 5 p.m. – 9 p.m. dinner. Saturday and Sunday: 8 a.m. – noon breakfast, then lunch and dinner. Open until 9 p.m. Saturday and 8 p.m. Sunday.
- March 27 –29: Splitfest 2015 at Chair 9. The snow is excellent up high, so demo a splitboard or bring your own and access the goods with a big group of friends. Meet & Greet Friday, 6 p.m. at Chair 9. Palace Snowboards and SheJumps Women’s splitboard tour meets at 8:30 a.m. Saturday at Chair 9. Splitboard 101 clinic and demo setup by Chair 2 at Chair 9 in Glacier on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. Tour all day in the Mt. Baker backcountry, get dinner at Milano’s, Grahams, Maple Falls Cafe, Il Caffe Rifugio, Chair 9 or The North Fork Brewery, then party back at Chair 9. Great swag and tons of prizes for the NWAC raffle Saturday night at Chair 9.
- March 27: The McHugh Boys at Il Caffe Rifugio. Catch the crowd-pleasing harmonies of the McHugh Boys at Rifugio’s on the last Friday of every month.
- In case you missed it, here are a couple videos of local skiers and riders finding good snow this month: